Thursday, June 29, 2006

My Readings...

The following is from Mary, Dad’s sister. She can’t be with us today as she lives in Tasmania, Australia but she and her oldest son David visited us in March to see Dad and to say their farewells. She sent me this email by way of a final farewell:

TO SANDY - MY FAVOURITE BROTHER

What lovely memories we have. Typical of siblings, we fought and we played.

Remember when you had to take me out with you? I was only little so you picked me up and put me behind some railings while you went off to play with your mates

What about the time you held me over the balcony? It was 3 stories up but it never occurred to us how dangerous it was.

How about when I lost my temper and threw a spoon at you? It clipped the back of your neck where you had a very ripe boil…..luckily I had locks on my bedroom door, so you couldn’t get to me….phew!

How about the time we went tobogganing? All we had was a tray! We were having fun when an American couple with a real sled joined us! Boy did we ‘move’ on that! When they had to go they gave us the sled OH BLISS!!

Then, on your 21st birthday party, I brought along a friend I’d recently made. You two hit it off straight away. I saw very little of her for the rest of the party. Her name was Carol.

When I met Ron, I was a young widow. You wanted to check him out, to make sure he wasn’t going to take advantage of me. You liked him at once and you told me…..”He’s older than me”….

The two of you went for a drink, bringing back some prawns for us all. We were lucky to get the prawns as you had driven back from the pub with the prawns on the roof of the car!

Then there was that visit to the local in Whyteleafe. On the way out of the pub you jumped over the chain link fence and fell over. Ron wondered where you’d got to ‘til he saw your head appearing and you both had a good laugh. You found out the next day that you had broken your wrist…

The best memory of all, forever etched on my mind, is you and Ron fixing Carols glasses. You were holding them and Ron was trying to fix this tiny screw in place. Your faces were so close together - Ron looked at you and planted a kiss on your cheek. It was hilarious! I can’t repeat what you said….

You are gone my love but the memories linger on. I love you brother dear, rest in peace.


The following is a piece written by Zoe, Dad's great-neice:

Uncle Sandy

Uncle sandy, how we know thee;

Always happy, loving, carefree,

Really funny, for us in your family,

And everyone else you used to see,

Always cheerful, Never tearful;

that's how I'll remember thee.

And I'll miss you ; Love 'Zoë

XXxxXX

X

No comments: