Monday, June 26, 2006

Threshers off licence

I went over to Mum and Dad's house (I'm trying to write Mum's House but it doesn't work at the moment) on Saturday and started the collation process ahead of the Probate Application. Going through Dad's filing system and paperwork was a very strange experience as this was an area which was his sole domain. Anyway, I think I've got 90% of it sorted and down on paper so I'll start the forms once the funeral is over.

=========

Talking of the Funeral, we've gone for an external caterer to feed the folks that turn up. I found her details at the funeral directors place. Lovely lady - she came round to see us when she realised we had reservations about letting a stranger into our house while we were out. Interestingly she came round with her partner/husband in the car because she didn't know who we were! Anyway, we have no reservations about her and we're leaving the key with the next door neighbour so she can come in and set up when we're at the service. So that's one problem sorted.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice to have some alcohol on hand for anyone wanting some on Thursday so I popped into my local Threshers store and spoke to the manager about getting some booze on sale-or-return.

I explained that I was running my fathers funeral from our house (not 200m away) and that I wanted to have enough beers and wine on hand to ensure that no-one went without. I didn't want to have loads hanging around the house afterwards (beleive it or not I hardly drink at home!) so I wanted to do it on a sale-or-return basis. Maybe a few cases of beer, a few bottles of wine and sherry and other stuff - not a lot but enough to cater for 40 people.

At this the "manager" got very sniffy - "well, the wine's on three-for-two at the moment so it won't be included but I suppose I could take a quarter of it back...". A quarter? I'm sorry - correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't sale or return supposed to be about buying the stuff you use or open and taking the rest back? I am very disappointed by this attitude and this lack of interest. I wanted to use a local store because I thought I would get a more personal service. So wrong. It just means I have another issue to sort out which could have been resolved with a little more imagination on the part of the store...

I am now going to get the beer and wine from Sainsbury's or Tesco's. I know they won't be too interested in a sale-or-return but I'd rather take advantage of the fact that their prices will be lower than Threshers. Stuff 'em. No more business to Threshers.

Well done Threshers at the Oval, Sidcup.

====

Uncle Jack and Uncle Les

I took a call from Mum this morning. Dad's Dad had two brothers, Jack and Les. Both these gents are still alive and are around 90 years old. Les is in hospital (I can't recall why) and won't be coming to the funeral but we've now heard that Jack most probably won't be coming either. He has been admitted to hospital himself with acute anemia (sp.?) and has been given six pints of blood. He's in the High Dependancy Unit which can't, itself, be a good sign. Good luck Great Uncle Jack and Great Uncle Les!

As an aside, in my family we have a special present for those people celebrating special birthdays. It started some years ago and the special present is a decorated loo seat. Jack is due to receive it as he was 90 a couple of months ago. Hopefully I can give it to Bryce (his son) on Thursday. We'll see if it is appropriate at the time.

No comments: